Tuesday, December 13

The Parade of Sucky Events

OK. So this is largely a rant if you couldn't tell from the title. There's some good stuff further down, so if you don't feel like reading the bad stuff, scroll down. It'll be bold.

Rob's debit card got lost on the way back from our last visit. Somebody charged 60 some dollars on it and then the Pilot that it was used at sent it to us. He had left it there, so we didn't initially think anything had gone wrong. Then on the 28th we found out that our account was negative a couple bucks. Despite having disputed the charge shortly thereafter, the bank continues to charge us overdraft fees. That combined with the few purchases we made before our account actually went negative (totaling 7.60) that went through after the 28th puts us over a hundred dollars in the hole. As it will all be sorted out soon, we're just ignoring the situation and spending our checks on Christmas presents anyway.

One of my contacts got lost and the other got torn, so I was blind for a few days. I do mean blind by the way. I can see about two inches from my face clearly without something correcting my vision. I had to call in to work because the eyeglass place had work backed up because of a storm and my lenses weren't in stock. They had to specially cut the lenses for me and I got them the next day right in time to get ready for work. So my first five hours of being able to see again were utterly depressing.

The car took forever to repair, so our freedom of travel was delayed for several weeks. Also the paperwork my father sent me is defunct, so we have temp plates, and the title is still in my father's name. That's getting fixed at the moment. The car is once again operational, though.

The store got robbed today. Well technically yesterday, but whatever. It wasn't the classic style robbery though. No... I have to deal with having been fast talked into handing this random guy 60 some dollars out of the drawer. It was a really long complicated thing, and I don't really feel like explaining it. Thankfully, my boss is awesome and understood and despite my offer to pay him back, is giving me a "freebie." I still feel like an idiot, though. Apparently, this sort of shit happens all the time and I was just oblivious. I've been told I should be proud of myself for realizing what happened as quickly as I did. About 2 minutes after the guy drove off. But then I had to count the drawer and make sure, so he's free and clear. God I hate people.

Good Stuff:
Christmas shopping's almost done. Just the Tjarks kids, Ronin, narf, Rob's parents and my father. We know what we're getting everyone except Rob's dad.

I'm excited about #2's new game based on the Dragonriders of Pern. It's gonna be awesome, and I get to help! For anyone interested who isn't already playing one of her games online, join RPoL and look for Pern revisited.

I'm looking forward to New Year's.

My birthday is in two days.

Rob and I found this awesome thing at Jelly Belly's website where you can get a jelly bean dispenser and 2.2 pounds of jelly beans a month by joining their jelly bean club. I'm so saving the $250 to do that.

OK. I'm done now. Peace.

5 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger emperorryno said...

It's too bad that guy felt the only way to use his skills was petty theft. It sounds like he would have made a great politician.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Nurse Penguinladi said...

My stolen wallet story: One year while helping with Vacation Bible School at church, I had left my purse under some stuff. While we were outside with the kids, a couple of teenagers or someone got into the church and took my wallet. About 8 months later I get a call that it was "found" in the ceiling tiles of the men's bathroom at Burger King on Lake Street in Aurora. Stupid thief left her Jewel card in my wallet! Everything else want intact (except for the little bit of cash I had in there). Called the police (I had filed a claim), but they weren't interested in following up--even with this gal's name on it. Oh well.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger TT said...

Yeah, one of the bad things about debit cards is that they don't give the same level of fraud protection that a credit card does. If it's used fraudulently, too bad.

I really should do something to counter that, but the debit cards are too damned convenient.

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Kalen said...

Was it a quick-change scam? Basically, where they keep trying to give you money and get back different change in an attempt to confuse you. Those suck, and they do happen a lot. I had one guy who I think was trying to do that at when I was a cashier at Meijer, but luckily I had closed the drawer already. That was when I was fairly new to money-handling, so he may have been able to get me if I hadn't refused to reopen my drawer for him.

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Amber said...

Yeah it was one of those.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home